Pay to pray

In this economy, it can be pretty difficult for workers to get a break. The labor market is a buyer’s market, and employers are able to be highly selective in hiring and retention.

We believe, regardless of the economic situation, that employers deserve some basic rights and that they also have a moral and legal obligation to give their workers similar rights, as well.

This week, Hertz indefinitely suspended 34 of its shuttle drivers at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport for allegedly breaking a company policy.  The shuttle drivers were not fired for incompetence or negligence; they were fired because they prayed too much on the job.

All 34 drivers are devout Muslims. In accordance with Islam, they pray toward Mecca five times a day. In fact, seventy percent of the Hertz drivers at the airport are Muslim, yet not all were suspended in this incident.

The issue at heart is whether or not the drivers should have to clock out while praying on the job. Officials for Teamsters Local 117 Union, which is representing the suspended workers, said while the managers negotiated a deal with the employees to clock out when praying, their contracts did not specify this requirement.

The managers argued the policy was understood and that workers were repeatedly told to clock out. There is some evidence to support the managers’ claim.

As was mentioned before, not all of the Muslim drivers were suspended. Roughly 60 percent of the remaining Muslim drivers had complied with the rule, clocking out when they needed time to pray. Hertz said only workers who failed to clock out were suspended.

This sentiment is not shared by all the drivers; several claim they were unaware of the rule and were sent home for praying. One employee recalled that a manager had told her, “If you guys pray, you go home.”

The workers earn $9.15 to $9.95 an hour and receive no paid sick or vacation days and no health benefits. It isn’t entirely clear who is at fault for the suspensions, and the reality is that both parties are likely to blame for not clearly communicating.

We believe. Hertz does have the right to decide not to give the employees paid praying time. But they must make every effort to clearly communicate that decision to the employees, even if it means renegotiating a new contract.

Hertz also has an obligation to ensure that whatever process is in place for the employees to clock out to pray is not overly complicated or confusing.

Hertz cannot create an environment that makes it difficult for its Muslim drivers to practice their faith, even if they are not paid to do so.