sports field hockey

Only road matches remain for team

Field Hockey

The Hoosiers will have to get used to life on the road.

After splitting its final two home matches last week, the IU field hockey team will play its first of four road games to end the regular season Saturday versus Iowa.

“On the road we haven’t been as successful as we have been at home,” freshman keeper Maggie Olson said. “What’s important for us to do, especially coming up on Saturday, is to make sure our energy is really high and that we’re really focused because Iowa is a really good team.”

The Hoosiers have had the majority of their success in Bloomington this year, ending their home season with a 4-2 win against Michigan State. On the road, the team has struggled, going 2-3.

IU Coach Amy Robertson has spent the week making changes to turn around the team’s play away from IU.

“This week is kind of a week for us to step back, reorganize, take a look at our fundamentals, sharpen those things that have stuck out as weaknesses,” Robertson said. “Make sure that we really understand the principles of why are we doing this, how are we doing it and sharpening our understanding of the game.”

With improvement needed, Robertson looks to the seniors to try and help lead the team to a win against the Hawkeyes.

“The upperclassmen want to bring the team together and have a really positive approach prior to playing,” Robertson said. “Whether it’s the night before or the morning walkthrough, they’ve come to us and said, ‘Hey, we need to have a practice.’ That makes us feel confident and very positive.”