sports golf

Men’s golf competes in last fall event

Last Time: With junior Brant Peaper firing a low 65 and senior co-captain Chase Wright making his third top-10 finish of the season, the IU men’s golf team posted its season-best 11-over-par 851 last week at the Windon Memorial.

The Set-up: The Hoosiers will cap the fall season at the prestigious Isleworth Collegiate from Oct. 23 to 25 at Isleworth Golf Club in Windermere, Fla.

The Context: IU will be among 15 teams, including last year’s champion Alabama, first-ranked Texas and second-ranked Stanford, according to the Oct. 19 Golfweek/Sagarin rankings. The team made its last appearance at the event in 2008, where they placed third with a tournament-total 866.

The par-72, 7,544-yard championship course will test the Hoosiers at their most competitive event of the season. IU Coach Mike Mayer said he anticipates seeing where the team stands throughout the tournament.

Quote of Note: “This is one of the top collegiate events where we’ll see some of the best teams in the nation,” Mayer said. “We aren’t so worried about the outcome. We just need to control ourselves and play as a team.”

“They have each other’s backs out there,” Mayer said. “If we play each shot for what it’s worth we’ll be okay.”

Notable Number: 3. In its four events of the season, the men’s golf team has three top-three finishes, with the exception of their 12th place finish at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational in September.