IU research grants to honor former US Surgeon General

On Oct. 13, the eve of former United States Surgeon General C. Everett Koop’s 95th birthday, the Rural Center for AIDS/STD Prevention at IU announced plans to honor the doctor’s legacy with the creation of an endowed research grant.

The grant will support doctoral student research related to AIDS/HIV prevention, mirroring the work for which Koop is universally recognized.

“This is something that will last forever,” said William Yarber, the center’s senior director and a professor in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation. “It means that doctoral students from across the country will receive financial assistance for their work and will have a sense of pride that it is named in Koop’s honor.”

The center decided to create the endowment in Koop’s name for his “courageous” and “heroic” contributions to raising awareness of AIDS and HIV in the 1980s.

Doctoral students from across the nation can apply for these $600 grants, which are awarded each spring.

Yarber said the center will most likely award three grants in spring 2012, but he hopes the endowment will increase in coming years.

Koop was presented the 2010 Ryan White Distinguished Leadership Award by the center and Jeanne White Ginder, mother of the young AIDS activist from Indiana.

Yarber said Koop is one of the most heroic and famous surgeon generals in history.

“Not everyone was pleased, but all the people of the public health praised him and realized he did a very courageous and heroic thing by providing education about AIDS when people were hesitant to do that and political leaders didn’t want to get involved,” Yarber said.

“Dr. Koop put the needs of the nation before any political aspects.”