Giant brain raises brain health awareness Saturday

As Debi Tucker and her husband entered the frontal lobe, walls of pink plastic encased them. The Saturday morning sun shone through the inflated organ and highlighted the deep red veins that coursed along the surface of the brain’s shape.

The MEGA Brain, an 18-foot long, 12-foot high inflatable brain, came to the Bloomington Farmer’s Market on Saturday. IU Health-Bloomington brought the exhibit to the market to provide an educational experience for the market’s patrons.

“The main reason we’re out here today is to educate people about stroke signs and symptoms,” said Amanda Roach, media relations coordinator for IU Health Bloomington.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded stroke as the third leading cause of death last month.

In an effort to educate about this health concern, Roach and other IU Health employees offered trips through the MEGA Brain as well as blood pressure screenings and risk assessments.

While Tucker walked along the brain’s interior walkway, she stopped to read a placard about brain hemorrhaging. Similar signs informed patrons about the limbic system, multiple sclerosis, stroke and Parkinson’s disease.

Above her, a large red bulge protruded from the inflated pink surface, depicting a plastic model of a brain hemorrhage. This type of stroke is caused by bulging and bursting of an artery within the brain, which causes bleeding that can kill brain cells.

“I think it’s very interesting to see the functions of the brain, and it’s also very good to know the symptoms of illnesses that can cause problems with your brain,” Tucker said as she exited through the cerebellum.

Lee Strickolm walked around the exterior of the MEGA Brain. Strickolm teaches a class about brain function for the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

“It’s what makes us, you know,” Strickolm said. “We are people, and it really controls everything that we do. And if we’re going to be healthy people, we need to have a healthy brain.”

In front of her, a large purple area covered the brain’s exterior — a model of a brain aneurysm. This weakness in an artery or vein causes bulging of a blood vessel and can lead to hemorrhaging and, ultimately, stroke.

Roach said this type of exhibit allowed a more interactive and dynamic way to grab people’s attention about health. She also stressed the importance of the knowledge derived from the exhibit.

“Being aware of the signs and symptoms, and what to do in the event of a medical emergency with stroke, is very important,” she said. “There are ways to treat stroke, but time is a very important
factor.”

IU Health-Bloomington Hospital is a certified primary stroke center. Its staff of neurologists is available to offer treatment for stroke and other cerebral conditions through their emergency department.