Conservatives, stand up for what you believe

(Editors note: Connor Caudill is the president of the Indiana College Republicans)

At IU, it seems the Left always has the loudest voice.

Whether it’s in the classroom with some leftist professor preaching America’s pitfalls or socialists criticizing capitalism, one would be hard-pressed to find someone who does not encounter some sort of liberalism on a regular basis.

As a young conservative student, I have made many friends and a few enemies during my career at IU. I’ve spoken my mind when I thought no one else would while being detested and venerated at the same time. Quite honestly, it is not easy. But at the end of the day, I know I did my best to hold true to my own convictions.

In the last month alone, I’ve been labeled a “bigot” and “religious fanatic,” neither of which is remotely true. I only keep true to a few of the convictions that are not accepted within the world view of the Left, and as such, I somehow deserved their disrespect.

Now, I feel more than ever that the time has come for conservative students to unite behind one force, rise up and expose the bigotry of the Left on this campus and in this
community.

The challenge for conservatives in general is that we seem to have to be apologetic for keeping our positions and not speaking up.

My question for conservative students is this: How often do you see the Left apologizing and keeping silent about their positions? The answer: hardly ever. My challenge to each of you, regardless of your professed world view, is to at least stand up for what you believe in.

For conservatives, I’ve made a few points below that I think will assist you in your own arguments against the Left.

If you are a social conservative and oppose gay marriage, you are not crazy.
According to a May Gallop Poll, 45 percent of Americans still oppose gay marriage, down from 53 percent just two years ago. Even though I disagree with that particular position, I still believe in showing the utmost respect for the deeply held conviction.

If you believe in projecting freedom and American values around the world, don’t apologize for it. Our country has liberated millions from the shackles of tyranny during the last century.  Yes, America has made mistakes in the past by putting its nose where it does not belong. But that does not mean we should raise the white flag, cut our losses and call it a day.  

If you are a fiscal conservative, that means you want to preserve the free enterprise system that made our country the great economic giant it is today. That also means you support a capitalist system that, according to the World Bank, has lifted nearly 600 million people in China alone out of poverty during the past 30 years.

I’m not sure if socialism or other redistributive programs have ever done that, even though the Left would like to think so.

Lastly, about the issue of the economy: I hope many are growing tired of those who see private enterprise as the enemy.

It really boils down to what Winston Churchill once said: “Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. “Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is — the strong horse that pulls the whole cart.”

­— cjcaudil@indiana.edu