Column: IU-PSU Report Card

OFFENSE
The unit was much more productive in the second half, but it has to be better. The running backs, led by sophomore Stephen Houston, were good. I like the energy and toughness Houston brings to the team, and he should be a good compliment to true freshman D’Angelo Roberts down the road.

The wide receivers were OK, but there were too many dropped passes in a close game.

The offensive line looked good at times, but bad at others. IU Coach Kevin Wilson might have to call more quarterback rollouts to take the pressure off the guys up front on certain downs.
GRADE: C+

DEFENSE

The coaching staff threw the depth chart out the window, and it seemed to work on Saturday. With true freshman Bobby Richardson starting at the defensive end and brothers redshirt freshman Drew and true freshman Forisse Hardin holding down the safety spots, the IU defense looked the best it has at any point this season.

Even with the 74-yard Penn State pass, this is a huge step in the right direction for the Hoosier defense.
GRADE: B+

SPECIAL TEAMS
Junior Adam Pines was on the field a lot and had some better punts, including one that hit a Penn State player and was recovered by IU, but he still has plenty of room to improve.

Sophomore kicker Mitch Ewald is quickly becoming a star, and his 49-yard field goal on Saturday was just the latest example of how good he can be.
GRADE: A-