Activism through art encouraged by Coal-Free IU

The Beehive Design Collective, an organization committed to activism through art, will be making its way to Bloomington today. The group has spent the last two years preparing to show the world “The True Cost of Coal.”

The event, sponsored by Coal Free IU, is part of a nationwide campus movement known as “100 Actions for 100% Clean Energy.”

Coal-burning campuses across the nation will perform actions in support of clean energy for the movement.

“People need to come to this event to get educated about how burning coal is affecting our health, our environment and our future,” Coal Free IU President Megan Anderson said.

The demonstration will explore the dangers of mountaintop removal, coal mining and the broader impact of coal in the Appalachian Mountains and across the world.

“We’re trying to show that coal use has more effects than those that are usually associated with it,” CFIU Treasurer Novella Shuck said. “It has a lot more to do with our health and hits much closer to home.”

Before the event, CFIU will place an 18-foot asthma inhaler in Dunn Meadow from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. This is meant to demonstrate the effect pollution from IU’s Central Heating Plant, powered by Duke Energy, has on local public health.

“It’s important that the campus comes together as a community and shows strong support for moving our campus away from coal use,” Anderson said. “A lot of people don’t even know that we have a coal plant on our campus.”

CFIU has worked for the promotion of renewable energy sources in various ways, including demonstrations, fundraisers and community action. The student organization financed the installation of eight solar panels at the Indiana Memorial Union earlier this year.

“We are definitely interested in energy efficiency and any other projects related to renewable energy,” Anderson said.

About 30 percent of childhood asthma is caused by pollutants from coal, according to the American Lung Association. Coal is responsible for 550 deaths and 870 heart attacks in Indiana each year.

Anderson said she believes the Beehive’s demonstration will help bring this issue to students’ attention.

“It’s very interactive and a unique way to demonstrate the story of coal from beginning to end,” Anderson said.

Shuck stressed the importance of student involvement in furthering the organization’s goals. She said she believes unless public interest in diminishing coal use swells, nothing will change at the University.

“Participating in this event shows that we, as students, care about our environment and want to actively improve it,” Shuck said.