Abraham Lincoln’s big disappointment

On Saturday, I saw “Abraham Lincoln’s Big Gay Dance Party” at the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center in Bloomington, and I was blown away.

Writer Aaron Loeb sets the scene in a rural town in Illinois where the “trial of the century” is begun for a schoolteacher arrested for teaching her fourth graders President Abraham Lincoln was gay.

What struck me most were the Lincoln quotes interspersed throughout the play.

“A house divided against itself cannot stand.”

As I said in a recent column, I think it’s ironic so many people reference iconic presidents but don’t take the time to actually consider their message. People so thoroughly divided and unable to reach any sort of agreement will tear this country apart. Again.

This is not 150 years ago; there is no chance states will secede from the Union, especially since the current divisions in the United States are not so cleanly cut as north v. south. Yet, there are parallels. Brother stands against brother and father stands against son in the epic battle of whatever the trendy topic is in any given month.

Congresspeople no longer come to physical blows as they once did, but it seems they will not agree on any issue. Politicians will divide across the party line without compromise just to appeal to their constituents.

No one can agree about anything — the economy, the wars, the marriage issue.
Do any politicians see imaginary Lincolns as District Attorney Tom Hauser does in the play? Are the Lincoln ghosts clapping their hands or shaking their heads? I think the real Lincoln would be ashamed.

Then, the president’s primary goal was not to push his party’s agenda but to unite the country. “My paramount objective in this struggle is to save the Union.”

It seems politics today emphasize antagonizing each other rather than encouraging the country to come together. Lincoln worked with his enemies to bring peace. Why can’t we?

“Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.”

One of the most divisive issues in this country is gay marriage. Should we allow equality or follow the precepts of religion?

Honest Abe had it right once again. People who would deny equal rights to all don’t deserve those rights for themselves. If people deny others the right to marry, they don’t deserve the right, either.

Lincoln was not faultless, but he was a very smart man. In a fight to prevent his country from separating, he succeeded.

Where is the Abraham Lincoln of the 21st century? He or she better show up soon, or else this country is doomed for division.

Unity. Equality. These aren’t difficult concepts to understand.

­— hanns@indiana.edu