Turn off the tuition magnet!

In last Thursday’s Republican presidential debate, illegal immigration played a prominent role in the discourse among the candidates. The nine candidates on stage expressed their opinions about the issue, and each seemed to express similar views, although, as with any issue, there were some differences. 

This is one of the most pressing concerns of our day, and there are a variety of opinions and voices fighting to be heard. One voice that stands out among the crowd in the Republican primary is that of Texas Gov. Rick Perry. 

In Texas, Perry passed his version of the DREAM Act, which allows illegal immigrants to receive in-state tuition rates.  In some circles, this seems to be the appropriate response to the issue. If illegal immigrants are going to be in this country, at no fault of their own, we might as well ensure that they are educated and are productive members of society. 

While I agree that we certainly want to avoid creating a class of individuals that is dependent on the government and lacking in education, I am also not sure that subsidizing attendance at a public university is the right response, either. 

In-state tuition for illegal immigrants provides a benefit students of the other 49 states do not receive. I understand that we are a nation of immigrants and it would be better to educate these individuals than relegate them to the bottom ranks of society.

However, it still does not justify excluding other American students. Many students attend public universities outside their home states without the benefit of receiving in-state tuition rates. Perry argues that we need to provide in-state tuition for illegal immigrants or else they will become a drag on our economy. By that logic, students from Illinois who attend IU are at risk of being jobless, uneducated and on welfare because IU doesn’t provide them in-state tuition rates.

No one is saying illegal immigrants should not be allowed to attend college. The question is: Why should we provide preferential treatment to this group of students and not to students who are American citizens?

In the context of a 7.5 percent tuition hike at this University for out-of-state tuition, I bet it would not sit well with out-of-state students if Gov. Mitch Daniels provided illegal immigrants with in-state tuition rates.

It would have attracted more illegal immigrants here while discouraging other American students from choosing to bring their talents to IU. 

If we are looking for ways to get our border under control, reduce government spending and regain a sense of law and order in this country, turning off the “magnet” that attracts illegal immigrants here is the first step.

­— cjcaudil@indiana.edu