Tech grads take degrees to bank

College students may not be able to control the job market, but some degrees could give graduates a competitive edge, according to a recent report. 

The Best Degrees, a web-based higher education resource that provides valuable information to help those entering or returning to college, has compiled a list that just might save some career lives.

The website recently published a report of the top 51 degrees based on job potential in the current U.S. economy. The study set out to identify the best degrees for students seeking strong job opportunities and high earnings.

“The reason we created this report was because we realized that the unemployment rate is high and the economy is down, and many students are told how much money you make at a certain job, but they aren’t told how likely it is they will actually get a job,” The Best Degrees Editor Dee Barizo said.

Data was compiled from the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor, and the report revealed a high demand for technology based-jobs. Seven of the top 10 degrees were related to the study of computers, software or databases.

Barizo said the report can be broken down to basic supply and demand.

“As technology and the Internet have improved, society continually demands a higher supply of tech-based products,” Barizo said. “People who have expertise in those areas are going to be more likely to get a job.”

Writing HTML code may not be everyone’s idea of fun, but Barizo said even students who aren’t technology-minded can be.

“Every discipline uses technology. Even if you don’t work for an IT company, every organization needs IT people,” senior computer science major June Clark said. “I always encourage my friends to take IT classes and to have a good understanding of some technology because having the IT background is always a plus.”

She explained that all careers demand a basic understanding of today’s technology, and any major can be paired with an IT degree.

Although the job market is intimidating for many students entering the real world, junior Kevin Phillips, an information process management major, said he isn’t concerned about finding a job because he feels his strong technology background gives him an edge.

“The technology field is ever-changing, and there is a huge demand for it,” he said. “If you are a personable person who knows what they are doing in technology, there is no way you won’t get a job.”

Phillips is the vice president of the Technology Management Club at IU, and he said they are always welcoming new members who are interested in improving their technology skills.

“Anyone is welcome to join. If you have an interest and want to learn more for your specific major, we’ll make it happen,” he said.