'Sister Wives' and polygamist culture

'Sister Wives'

Even though I love reality television, I’ll admit that most of it is crap. We don’t need to see orange-skinned drunkards running around without enough clothes on or watch bored wives with millionaire husbands throw money around.

But some reality shows can actually teach us something. “Sister Wives” is one of those shows.

“Sister Wives” is a TLC program about polygamist Kody Brown and his four wives, Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn.  The show follows the Browns as they go through life-changing moments — a new wife, a new home, a new baby — trying to navigate a world that is against their way of life.

Polygamy, which is illegal in the United States, has a bad reputation, worsened by people such as polygamist Warren Jeffs, who made the news after he was convicted for raping underage girls.

The Browns want to show us that not all polygamists are crazy sexual abusers.

For the first two seasons, the Browns lived in a large house where each wife had her own living space and kitchen; Kody migrated between the sections of the house.

The women were not subjugated. In fact, they had a close bond and often relied upon each other, especially for help in taking care of the children. The kids often moved from one kitchen to another and had relationships with their father’s other wives.

Though they have an unusual living situation, the Browns are normal people. They work, go to school, and visit the grandparents. They fight, of course, but their love and respect for each other is evident.

Rather than being complete trash, “Sister Wives” shows us a culture many of us are not familiar with.

The Brown family is teaching us that polygamists aren’t always bad. Hopefully, “Sister Wives” is a great step in fighting prejudice.

­— hanns@indiana.edu