Patriot Act still in effect 10 years later

Months after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Congress passed the Patriot Act to improve the government’s counterterrorism efforts.
Ten years later, the law continues to play a vital role in U.S. national security.
At the end of May, Congress approved a four-year extension.

What is the Patriot Act?

Several aspects, such as surveillance, were present before the law was passed, said David Fidler, IU Maurer School of Law professor and national security law expert. The act gave law enforcement more authority and the tools to use it. The events of 9/11 were enough to trigger changes to law enforcement legislation, he said.

The act is formally known as the “Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT) Act of 2001.”

What does the law mean?

The Patriot Act allows federal agents to follow suspects and conduct investigations without notifying them and also allows federal agents to obtain business records through the courts in national security terrorism cases.

The Department of Justice website said the act was also updated to reflect new threats and allows investigators to obtain a search warrant “anywhere a terrorist-related activity occurred.”

Another major provision of the act, as described by the Department of Justice, provides harsher punishments for terrorists or conspirators. Housing known terrorists, as well as bio-terrorists and attacks on transportation systems, is punishable.

What’s the impact of the law?

Fidler said the Patriot Act revealed the traditional tension regarding the government’s response to security and how that may invade civil liberties.

There is controversy surrounding the law, Fidler said, because there has been no doubt of a shift of power. He also said it’s important to understand the bigger picture of security versus liberty. He said he believes the law is permanent and called it a “very significant piece of legislature that will continue to survive.”