IU loses to Ball State, 27-20

Despite leading at the half, IU opened the Kevin Wilson era Saturday with a27-20 loss to Ball State at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Hoosiers were swift and efficient on their opening drive, gaining 76 yards on 15 plays, including five runs apiece in the IU debuts of sophomore running back Stephen Houston and redshirt freshman running back Matt Perez. Perez capped it off with a 10-yard run for a score.

After their second drive stalled, the Hoosiers again found success with their speedy new offense on the third drive, ending with a 65-yard bomb from sophomore quarterback Edward Wright-Baker to senior wide receiver Damarlo Belcher for a second score.

From that point on, the IU offense gradually slowed down. A second-quarter drive ended with a field goal in Ball State territory and would prove to be IU’s last lengthy drive until a garbage time drive ended with another field goal.

Meanwhile, Ball State continued to power through the middle of the IU defense with quarterback Keith Wenning throwing for 174 yards and two touchdowns while also gaining 62 yards and an additional score with his feet.

In his first game as IU’s starting quarterback, Wright-Baker was 20 of 32 for 271 yards and a touchdown. However, he appeared hesitant at times and misfired on several passes to slow down potential IU drives in the second half.

IU will return to Bloomington for their home opener against Virginia next Saturday.