sports field hockey

Hoosiers fend off No. 15 Ohio University, win 3-2

The Hoosiers went into Athens, Ohio and came out victorious.

After keeping a 3-0 lead, IU allowed two goals during the second half, but still managed to top No. 15 Ohio University, 3-2. Senior back Brenna Moeljadi scored twice with senior Jaclyn Zamudio netting her third goal of the season.

“We moved the ball and changed our point of attack really well,” IU Coach Amy Robertson said. “When we were on attack, players off the ball made really assertive and timed reads that helped us always find an open player.”

Moeljadi netted the game’s first goal off a penalty corner in the 16th minute. Moeljadi scored her second goal of the game six minutes later on another penalty corner via junior Brooke Borneman and senior Katie Griswold.

Borneman tallied her second assist three minutes later on yet another penalty corner.

“We executed corners brilliantly today, not having a lot but especially at the very beginning,” Robertson said. “Finishing was a really big key for us, and we worked on that all week so (I’m) very happy to follow the game plan and come out with a win
on the end.”

In the second half, Ohio came out blazing, getting goals in the 49th and 59th minute. However, IU’s defense held strong, holding the Bobcats to just those goals.

The Hoosiers were held to just four shots.

“Well, we have to make certain we use this as a springboard for improvement, not getting too cocky with ourselves but really say, ‘Hey, we’re making improvements,’” Robertson said. “We’re doing good things. Let’s take it to the next step and really be motivated to keep ourselves pushing forward and getting better.”