Dorms partner with nonprofit, local agencies

For the third year in a row, IU dorms are partnering with local nonprofit agencies to volunteer time and energy for the greater good.

The program was started by a Resident Assistant Brittany Paulk in Teter Quad.

“She wanted non-profits across the Bloomington Community to partner up with each residence hall in order to improve the Bloomington Community and students’ connection to the entire community and offer a chance for them to give back,” Ashton Center Manager Shelley Arroyo said.

At first, only select organizations could participate. Now, it’s open to all local agencies.

“It’s been a great success in that we have all levels of involvement at the center level, student government, student staff and professional staff,” she said. “It started with having themes. The first year was poverty, the second year was children and this year was an open invitation for any nonprofit to apply for the program.”

One of this year’s partner organizations, Youth Services Bureau of Monroe County, deals with at-risk children.

“Our agency signed up for this program in the hope that we give a real face to the services that we provide to homeless, runaway or at-risk youth within the community,” said Kim Meyer, executive director of youth services bureau of Monroe county.

This is the first year the organization has participated in the program, and it’s working with Ashton. During move-in day, Meyer said they had a booth set up outside the residence halls with information on Project Safe Place, a program that provides quick help to young people in crisis.

Meyer said a full presentation of their services will be given in October.

One of the bigger projects the partnership is working on includes a donation collection drive for the YSB Binkley House Youth Shelter, which Meyer said is the largest division that provides short-term housing and intervention for youth ages 8 to 17.

“What we would like to do is try out the concept of having a collection site or donation box at Ashton Hall for needed items that keep our youth cared for,” Meyer said. “Such items will include basics like shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant and other hygiene essentials.”

Meyer said every little bit from students helps.

“Given that IU students may have the ability to donate these much-needed items or utilize their CampusAccess points to purchase some of these items to donate, we think that students may be an overlooked opportunity for supporting others in small yet very impactful measures,” she said.

Meyer also said such donations will help offset the agency’s costs of purchasing the items.

Arroyo said Ashton’s resident assistant staff is planning to help with YSB’s Facebook page, assisting with the Binkley House marketing campaign to get the word out and updating the organization’s logo.

“We would be honored to continue any partnership with IU resident halls in future years,” Meyer said.