sports baseball softball

Trustees approve baseball, softball complex

IU baseball and softball will have a new complex for the 2013 baseball and softball seasons. The Board of Trustees approved the construction on Thursday with the goal of starting construction in spring 2012 and completing it for the 2013 seasons.

The new complex will be just north of the Mellencamp Pavilion and the Indiana Tennis Center along North Woodlawn Avenue and the 45/46 Bypass. The location was chosen as a part of the University’s master plan to have all of the major athletic facilities in one neighborhood.

“The new baseball/softball facility will allow both teams to compete at the highest level, further demonstrating IU Athletics’ commitment to enhancing the experience of our student-athletes and ultimately delivering on a promise made to both programs several years ago”, said IU Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass in an IU press release.

The $19.8 million facility will be funded by the athletic department as well as private donations and will be designed by Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf Architects from Indianapolis, according to the release.

Both baseball coach Tracy Smith and softball coach Michelle Gardner were excited for the complex and said the approval showed the University’s dedication to the programs.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that this facility will further enhance our program moving forward,” Gardner said in the release.

The new complex will replace Sembower Field and the IU Softball Field on Fee Lane across from McNutt Quad. Sembower Field was built in 1951 and the IU Softball Field has been home to the softball team since the early 1970s.