sports women's soccer

Summer soccer's lasting effect

Soccer had its 15 minutes of fame again this summer in the United States.
The game that defines sports in European countries garnered attention from the USA women’s soccer team’s run to the World Cup final and two of England’s top teams’ visits to Major League Soccer stadiums across the country.

Women’s national soccer is not always a hot topic, but it probably should be.
The U.S. team has always made it to the women’s World Cup semi-finals, and this year was no different.

The real attraction for American fans came in the quarterfinal matchup against Brazil.
Everyone was given not one villain, but three: the Brazil national team, an Australian referee and Marta Vieira da Silva, who is regarded as one of the best soccer players in the world.

There is nothing that draws fans to a sporting event like controversy. This game had plenty of it.

The craziness that was the quarterfinal game gave America a reason to watch when the United States won in penalty kicks after a last-minute tying goal by summer superstar Abby Wambach.

There were dramatic moments, game delays and bad calls, but the U.S. women
prevailed.

A group of athletes fighting to the very last second was something people wanted to watch, even if it was a women’s soccer match.

The buzz of soccer carried through the final match where the United States lost to Japan in penalty kicks.

But this wasn’t the last word soccer had for Americans this summer.

In July, Manchester United and Manchester City came to the United States to play friendly matches against a few MLS teams.

The number of tickets sold at the venues soared in anticipation of American teams taking on the European foes.

Some tickets were sold for as much as $400.

Maybe the tide is turning on soccer after all.

ESPN has picked up its coverage of European soccer during the last year, broadcasting many major matches in Europe and MLS matches from this summer.

If ESPN is paying attention, does that mean American sports fans will, too? Next summer should be no different.

The London 2012 games will focus the world’s attention on many sports we usually wouldn’t blink an eye at.

Soccer games will be a highlight.

The women will have to prove that they can stay at the top. The men will have to prove that they are worth people’s time.

Three straight summers of strengthening soccer coverage will show signs that people do care — or, at least, are starting to care.

The MLS will never be the Premier League, and women’s professional soccer won’t come back to the United States, but at least we are taking steps in the right direction.