Staff implements new mentality on defensive side

As a group of reporters massed around IU head football coach Kevin Wilson at Big Ten Media Days on Thursday in Chicago, he posed a question to them.

“When’s the last time Indiana won a 10-7 ballgame?” he said. “When’s the last time it was 17-14?”

The answer was a 17-14 victory over the University of Illinois Nov. 8, 2003, but Wilson’s intention was to bring attention to the defense.

IU surrendered 40 or more points four times last year, giving up an average of 34 points per game. Wilson, along with co-defensive coordinators Mike Ekeler and Doug Mallory, seeks to change that.

“Coaching wise, we have a great staff that understands what they’re doing schematically,” Wilson said. “They will challenge. We’re not going to play vanilla and soft.”

Senior linebacker Jeff Thomas said he and the rest of the defense have put hard work into practice and have faith in the new coaching staff.

“With all this hard work we’ve put in and all this camaraderie, we feel like we can’t fail,” Thomas said. “We’ve invested so much time and effort believing in these coaches, and they believe in us as well.”

Ekeler, who coached linebackers at the University of Nebraska from 2008 to 2010, has already begun to push the defense.

Thomas said that upon arrival, Ekeler told the players that he was a great “packer.” The players were all confused and asked him what he meant.

Ekeler, who has coached at five schools since 1999, explained that he was very good at packing and moving.

He said if any of the players didn’t want to be on this IU squad, he would gladly come to their home, pack their bags and send them off.

Ekeler was integral in recruiting Nebraska linebacker Lavonte David, who said that Ekeler coached well, but also made an impression off the field.

“He was a great guy and also a great friend,” David said. “He looks out for his guys and he’s in it for you.”

Both Wilson and Thomas stressed that Ekeler and Mallory will have plenty of weapons to use on the defensive side of the ball, especially in the middle of the field.

Thomas and senior linebacker Leon Beckum work together well as a unit, Thomas said.

“I can’t say enough about my ‘Will’ linebacker Leon,” Thomas said. “He’s been doing great things. I feel like we have our own wavelength out there.

“We’re passing stuff off to each other, communicating well, so I can’t say enough about him — one of my good friends.”

Thomas and Wilson also agreed defensive tackles such as juniors Adam Replogle and Mick Mentzer will be tough on offensive lines all season.

Thomas said the whole defense has adopted a much more aggressive and active approach.

“We’re not sitting around in zones and trying to matchup and what not,” Thomas said. “We’re going after teams and we’re pressing and we’re doing stuff that we haven’t done before.”

Wilson’s offenses in the past have moved very quickly, often leaving the defense on the field for long periods of time. Wilson claimed that as long as his offense puts points on the board, it will be helping out the defense. Thomas agreed.

“As a defensive person, I have no problem with Coach Wilson lighting up the scoreboard,” Thomas said. “I’d rather be on the field anyway.”