Kelley earns top ranking for business research in US for 3rd year

For the third consecutive year, the Kelley School of Business has proven itself a tycoon in the entrepreneurship arena.

Kelley’s Department of Management and Entrepreneurship ranked No. 1 in the 2011 World Rankings for Entrepreneurship Productivity.

“I was originally going to go to NYU, but I decided to come to IU because I know entrepreneurship is my passion, and IU’s program is great,” senior entrepreneurship major Jon Stein said. “It makes me feel more confident compared to students at other schools because I know I am working with the best faculty in the world.”

The study looked at the top three entrepreneurship journals — Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal — and determined its ranking by counting the number of published journal articles each institution’s faculty had generated during the last year.

The study was conducted among 150 schools across the globe, and Kelley’s top entrepreneurship faculty produced almost twice as many articles as its nearest challenger.

“Because we have the number one research faculty in the world, we are the ones that are moving the needle in the field,” Donald F. Kuratko, the Jack M. Gill Chair of Entrepreneurship, said. “We were thrilled the first year we were named number one, so to continue receiving the distinction is a great honor.”

Some of the most prominent articles the faculty published included topics such as corporate innovation, as well as emotion, decision making and entrepreneurial failure,
Kuratko said.

Daniel C. Smith, dean of the Kelley School of Business, said the school’s goal is not just to outdo competition in the Big Ten, but to be a globally recognized and superior institution for business learning.

“One of our goals at the Kelley School is to transform the lives of our students and to give them a competitive edge in the marketplace. Who better to accomplish these aims than the best entrepreneurship scholars in the nation, if not the world?” Smith said in an email. “I am confident that the reputation of our faculty has a material impact on the number and quality of students interested in studying at Kelley.”