Football staff inspires new attitudes

IU Football Practice

The music echoing across the practice field might as well be an alarm to the rest of the Big Ten, warning them IU football is doing things differently this year.

“It’s a lot different,” sophomore cornerback Lawrence Barnett said. “The whole practice, there’s music blaring in the background. The atmosphere is just a lot better, a lot more energy.”

The music during practice, ranging from Toby Keith to Lil Jon to Boston, is just one of a number of changes new head coach Kevin Wilson has made.

It is perhaps most outwardly apparent at the first few practices of the season.
Senior linebacker Jeff Thomas said he sees a practical benefit in it beyond simply energizing the team during practice.

“I like the music,” Thomas said. “I think everyone else is liking it too. It’s definitely enjoyable.

“And it makes it a little easier when you go to louder stadiums like Iowa or Wisconsin and you got to echo your calls and make everything louder because the crowd is loud.”

In addition to the music during practices and offseason workouts, Wilson made it clear at the team’s Media Day Aug. 9, that he and his new staff have also focused on implementing other, less tangible changes in the team.

“Ever since we’ve been here, we’ve tried to maintain a great attitude and a great work ethic and get better every day in a strong way,” Wilson said. “Our staff has embraced that in a great way.

“I think our players are getting there. We need to keep building momentum with those guys.”

The new approach has taken many forms, starting with hiring a nutritionist to supplement off season workouts and ensure the players eat healthy meals.

The fresh strategy continues with fast-paced practices with players briskly jogging across the field from one drill to the next.

At the media day, Thomas said he and his teammates can constantly feel the different atmosphere surrounding the team under an entirely new coaching staff.

“Eating right, conditioning, playing hard, playing fast, playing smart, all these things that he instills in us in team meetings and spring practice and winter conditioning,”
Thomas said. “I feel like everyone’s taken it to heart and everyone’s really bought into it.”

Co-defensive coordinator and linebacker coach Mike Ekeler agrees with his linebacker.
Ekeler said he believes by making expectations clear to his players, they are more willing to put in the work.

“It’s a standard that we’re trying to instill,” Ekeler said. “You want to instill just a relentless pride in ‘this is how we do it.’ You demand it, and either it’s acceptable or it’s not.

“That’s how we mold them. They said they want to be a great defense. We’re holding them to that standard.”

On the other side of the ball, co-offensive coordinator and wide receiver coach Kevin Johns has also been pleased with the effort he has seen from his players early in fall
practices.

“The kids have done a great job of putting forth the effort that we want and playing as fast as we want,” Johns said. “They’ve had great attitudes and are trying to learn a little bit every day.”

Players frequently described their new coach as upfront and honest.

Wilson himself said he embraces those labels, as they are qualities he has seen in the head coaches he has worked for, including Bob Stoops at Oklahoma University and the late Randy Walker at Miami University and Northwestern University.

“The only way players can respect you is if you’re shooting straight and working hard for them,” Wilson said. “That’s what we try to do.

“I think I’ve had some great role models in how to keep things set forth and keep grounded and keep working hard. I try to do that as best I can.”