23rd annual salsa contest brought spice to farmer's market

Spicy or sweet. Fruit or tomato-based. Green or red.
The variety was deliciously diverse as a famed topping of tacos, burritos and salted corn chips was revered this weekend at the Bloomington
Farmers’ Market.
The 23rd annual Salsa Contest on Saturday, sponsored by Bloomingfoods Market and Deli, brought out Bloomington’s professional and amateur salsa chefs and fans alike.
While Gregg “Rags” Rago, chef at Nick’s English Hut, gave a demonstration about creating what he called the perfect batch of guacamole, the market’s patrons visited the three tents showcasing salsas for tasting.
Seniors Joanna Taylor and Elaine Snyder differed in their spice level preference but agreed that they enjoyed the entries from the
cooked category.
“There are so many
different kinds. One over there was minty, and another was more tart or sour,” Taylor said. “The cooked ones have more of a kick, an after-bite.”
The contest organizers encourage the variety of salsas, Ellen Michael, head of Marketing and Outreach for Bloomingfoods and co-organizer for the event, said.
“Salsa is such a great thing to know how to make. There is a lot of room for creativity and experimentation,”
Michael said.
Nine judges tasted the day’s entries and decided on the top three in each of the cooked, raw and specialty categories.
Salsas were judged based on aroma, texture, appearance and flavor.
This year marked the first year someone won in all three categories — Arlyn Llewellyn for her Roasted Tomato and Jalepeno, Cirtusy Cherry, and Spicy Pineapple and Four
Pepper salsas.
Michael said the judges make their decision based on
factors other than the typical
fiery salsa kick.
“They really love fresh flavors, a nice aroma and a beautiful appearance,” she said. “We disqualify any super-hot salsas. Salsa is about more than just heat.”
Sophomores Rachel Shepherd and Ryan Carroll said they appreciated the salsas that had less heat and favored the fruitier choices because of their
unusual flavor.
The contest allowed the market’s patrons to taste some spice and highlighted the seasonal ingredients available at the market, as well as creating a stronger sense of community,
Michael explained.
“I think people take a lot of pride in coming up with their own variations — that’s what the salsa contest has taught me,” she said.
We have some amazing contestants who are able to nail it with one great recipe after another. They know how to have fun in the kitchen and to work with various flavor combinations. It’s
an art.”