Timeline: The search for Lauren Spierer

Tracking Lauren's Disappearance

Editor's note: The following timeline was created based on facts that have been verified by the parent's of Lauren Spierer, Bloomington Police Department, and on-site reporting of the daily search parties.

IU junior Lauren Spierer is a 20-year-old white female. She is 4 feet 11 inches tall and weighs between 90 and 100 pounds. Lauren has blue eyes and blonde hair that comes past her shoulders.

When Lauren was last seen, she was wearing a white tank top underneath a loose, light-colored button shirt. She was wearing full length, black stretch pants and was not wearing any shoes, likely because she was at Kilroy’s Sports bar which features a sand and beach area.

If you have any information regarding Lauren Spierer, contact the Bloomington Police Department at 812-339-4477.

Friday, June 3
Early morning: Lauren Spierer hangs out with friends at Kilroy’s Sports Bar. The time that she left the bar is unknown.

2:30-2:40 a.m.:
Lauren leaves Kilroy's Sports with a friend. She leaves her shoes and cell phone at the bar.

2:40- 4:30 a.m.: Lauren and her friend walk to Lauren's apartment complex, Smallwood Plaza. However, videos show that Lauren did not enter her apartment. Her friends stayed inside the apartment complex for a short time and then they headed north to another friend's apartment.

The two meet up with more friends at an apartment complex on the intersection of 11th and Morton Streets. Police believe Lauren lost her small purse and set of keys along the way to this apartment complex.

The two went into one apartment, then to another apartment a few doors down to hang out with other friends.

About 4:30 a.m.: Lauren tells her friends that she feels like going back home to Smallwood. A male friend watched Lauren leave the apartment to go back to her apartment in Smallwood.

He last saw her on the corner of 11th Street and College Avenue. Police said this male friend is the last person that saw Lauren.

Video footage at the entrance of Smallwood Plaza that night shows she never made it home.

Saturday, June 4
Morning: Lauren’s parents fly into Indianapolis from New York after hearing their daughter is missing. They rent a car, drive to Bloomington, file a police report and begin combing the areas around Lauren’s apartment and Kilroy’s Sports. The Bloomington Police Department also starts searching nearby areas with dogs.

Sunday, June 5
10 a.m.: Volunteers gather outside Smallwood Plaza to create a search plan. Local residents, students, friends and family map a route to explore Bloomington and Lakes Lemon, Griffy and Monroe. The Spierers said they didn’t have evidence she was around those areas, but they wanted to do something. They said they wanted to check everywhere possible and hang up fliers with their daughter’s picture.

Charlene Spierer tells Indiana Daily Student reporter that Lauren has Long QT syndrome, a genetic heart condition that sometimes requires medicine and medical assistance. Charlene urges whoever knows about her daughter’s location to take her to a hospital. The Spierers drive around Lake Monroe in the afternoon, stopping to search for their daughter. A caravan of cars drive.

3 p.m.: After spotty rain, the search volunteers and family stop the search for the day. They have covered many of the roads around nearby lakes.

4 p.m.: The Spierers meet with BPD to discuss the next steps.

Monday, June 6
10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.: Searches continue with dozens of volunteers, including IU men’s basketball coach Tom Crean and IU Hillel’s Rabbi Sue Silberberg.

11 a.m.: The Bloomington Police Department confirms they are still investigating the case and haven’t found Lauren. They provide no further details.

11:52 a.m.:
IU Dean of Students Harold "Pete" Goldsmith sends out a message alerting students and faculty that workers would search the IU campus and buildings for any trace of Lauren.

1 p.m.
More than 100 people show up to help search for Lauren

5:30 p.m. About 400 people attend a search for Lauren, including IU women's basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack and basketball players, as well as members of the volleyball team.

Tuesday, June 7
11 a.m.  BPD Lt. of Detectives Bill Parker speaks during a press conference that releases some new details about the case. Lauren's parents are present during the press conference. Both police and Lauren's father say that they plan to continue to search for Lauren.

11:46 p.m.: IU Provost Karen Hanson sends a statement to the IU community expressing her concern for Lauren.

Hanson directs the IU community to the University's public safety website http://protect.iu.edu, which has a page devoted to Lauren.

A banner advertising the page also appeared at the top of OneStart, an online IU student resource.

8:30 p.m.:
Bloomington Police Department executes a search warrant in Smallwood Plaza, Lauren's apartment complex. The police broke into two rooms adjacent to the lobby with battering rams. The two rooms were a mail room and a security room. They took three computer towers and four CD cases.

Wednesday, June 8

11 a.m.: The BPD is scheduled to discuss the execution of the search warrant during a press conference.

— Zach Ammerman and CJ Lotz