Threats exist after bin Laden, former congressman says

Osama bin Laden’s death does not signal the end of terrorist threats against the U.S., Lee Hamilton, director of the Center on Congress at IU, said at a Bloomington Rotary Club meeting Tuesday.

Hamilton, a former Congressman of 34 years, commented on the aftermath of bin Laden’s death.

He was the former vice chairman of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (the 9/11 Commission). Hamilton gave his speech in four parts: bin Laden’s death, the organization of al-Qaeda, al-Qaeda’s threat after bin Laden’s death and the United States’ relationship with Pakistan and the Middle East.

THE MAN
“Nothing can compensate for the heartache and tragedy he has brought to so many families,” Hamilton said.

Osama bin Laden was born a rich man in Saudi Arabia, Hamilton said, and he died a lonely, frustrated man removed from society. But, Hamilton said, he was still plotting.

“I would be hard-pressed to name an individual, including some presidents, who’s had more of an impact on America than Osama bin Laden,” he added.

In the last decade of his life, bin Laden was more of a figurehead than a planner.

“Men die, symbols do not,” Hamilton said.

THE ORGANIZATION
“Osama bin Laden is dead; al-Qaeda is not,” Hamilton said. “The war on terror is certainly not won because of his demise.”

It appears Adnan Shukrijumah will take over the position as leader of the global organization, and Hamilton said Shukrijumah will struggle to keep al-Qaeda relevant.

“It would be a big mistake to underestimate him,” Hamilton said.

THE THREAT
Hamilton said he believes the new level of threat will exist for a number of years. While he believes American citizens are safer today, he said the threat has become more diffuse and diverse.

“Instead of having a single threat from a single group, we have diverse groups around the world and lone wolves,” he said. “There are a variety of perpetrators.”

THE RELATIONSHIP
“The relationship (between U.S. and Pakistan) is not one you can solve,” Hamilton said. “It’s a relationship that has to be managed.”

Pakistan has been less than a full partner in the war on terrorism, Hamilton said, and America has been skeptical about the country’s commitment.

However, the stability of Pakistan is important because of their advances in nuclear weapons.

“They have possibly made more progress in nuclear weapons in the last few years than any other country,” Hamilton said. “We have a lot at stake in the stability of Pakistan.”