Acoustic festival raises money for WFHB public radio

WFHB Concert

WFHB’s fourth annual Acoustic Roots Festival moved from its home at the Story Inn in Brown County to Upland Brewing Company this year, bringing Bloomington’s local music to the restaurant’s backyard.

“There’s quite a music scene in Bloomington in terms of acoustic players,” said Jim Manion, music director for WFHB. “Other festivals around here concentrate on other things. Acoustic music is listener friendly, family friendly.”

With the development of the B-Line Trail and other expansions, Manion said the area around Upland is becoming part of the historical art district.

“We’re happy to establish ourselves here,” he said.

On the hill behind Upland, a stage truck opened toward rows of hay and a large white canopy. Though clouds filled the sky, weather reports said the rain would hold off. And for the eight hour long festival, it did.

“The radar looks like it’s just going to be cloudy for the rest of the day, so thanks for sticking with us,” Manion told the audience.

From bluegrass to honky tonk, the festival featured all kinds of acoustic musicians — some who traditionally play acoustic music and others who don’t.

Local band the Calumet Reel usually plays with a drummer, but they consolidated their set for the festival.

“It’s nice to strip down and try something different,” lead singer David James said to the audience.

Singer/songwriter Jennie Devoe said she played a gig earlier that morning.

“Can you believe that?” she said. “It’s hard to sing in the morning, so I saved it all for you guys.”

“Thanks, Jennie!” Bobbie Lancaster said from the audience.

Lancaster also played earlier in the day at the Farmers’ Market, a few streets down from Upland. In her guitar case, next to a tip jar, were flyers for the festival.

“There’s so much talent to showcase,” she said of the festival. “I loved that it’s moved to Bloomington because it embodies what the spirit of Bloomington is.”

One of Lancaster’s favorite things about the festival is that she gets to see her friends play. While she mostly plays her own songs, she said she has previously worked with Devoe and the White Lightning Boys.

“We’re in the business of doing what we do and trying to lift each other up,” she said. “The nicest part about playing festivals is we get to expose each others’ crowds to each other.”

Lancaster and the other performers took the festival as a chance to help support WFHB, a station that encourages their local music efforts.

“I love WFHB,” folk musician Jan Lucas said. “They’re very supportive of the music scene and we wanted to give something back.”

Money raised through the festival goes to WFHB’s general operating funds,
Manion said.

“We envision this as being the biggest fundraiser of the year,” he said. “But it’s not in the tens of thousands, yet.”

Public radio stations across the country are facing budget cuts, but Manion said WFHB is not as dependent on federal funding as other stations.

“We’re trying to diversify income so if it does go away, we’ll still be okay,”
Manion said.

Near the middle of the festival, Davy Jay Sparrow and His Well-Known Famous Drovers took the stage. But unlike the rest of the bands, Manion did not introduce them.

“Are you ready for me yet?” Railroad Jack Sparrow, Davy Jay’s son, asked, poking his head through the truck’s door.

He walked on stage in a bright red cowboy shirt and matching cowboy hat and squatted down to speak into a mike, grinning.

“Not that one,” one of the band members said, pointing to another mike.

Finally, the band finished setting up and Railroad Jack got to introduce his
father’s band.

“Howdy everybody, how you doing tonight?” he asked the audience. “Are you ready to have a honky tonky good time? ... Ladies and gentlemen, Davy Jay Sparrow and His Well-Known Famous Drovers.”

As Jack exited the stage, the band burst into an old-fashioned country song about a honky tonky daddy.