Supporting ‘This I Believe’

In the 1950s, a radio program called “This I Believe” collected short essays to broadcast to the American public. The contributors ranged from famous political and social leaders like Harry Truman and Helen Keller to scientists, cab drivers and secretaries. 

The writing prompt asked to describe your personal values and core principles for living.

NPR revived “This I Believe” in 2005 and continues to share people’s thoughts and motivations similarly to how the show did 60 years ago. Even better, the essays can now be accessed online, which spreads their heartfelt messages even further.
Rather than exposing ourselves to modern-day media’s disappointing newsroom arguments and superficial posts on social networks, I believe we should turn to the reflective credos of our fellow free-thinkers.

“This I Believe” isn’t promoting trite blog commentaries. The not-for-profit organization is creating a real dialogue among people of all walks of life and offering a great opportunity for us to actively listen to and learn from each other.

Some of the most moving comments I’ve found come from young people, children even.  

Instead of complaining or spewing doubts or showing thoughts of self-pity, their essays for “This I Believe” speak of resilience through hardship, optimistic attitudes and love.

Teenagers share their views on religion, economic status and race and ultimately promote diversity. They respect others’ beliefs and pay tribute to the shaping moments in their own lives.

Fifteen-year-old Alaa El-Saad wrote in 2009 about her decision to wear the hijab in sixth grade and how her classmates, instead of ridiculing her, were supportive. She believes in standing up for who you are. “America is built on all different religions, races and beliefs,” Alaa said.

Josh Rittenberg, who was 16 years old in 2006, overheard his father talking to his mother about the state of the world. He was worried about the problems his son, and his son’s generation, would inherit.

But Josh sees things differently. He believes tomorrow will be better than today.

His father and his grandfather went through difficult times, but they witnessed great
improvements too.

Josh believes we will see the day when “AIDS is cured and cancer is defeated; when the Middle East will find peace and Africa grain.”

“This I Believe” also welcomes words of wisdom from first-graders.

Young Tarak McLain submitted his thoughts in a list of 30. The first five are my favorite.

“I believe life is good,” Tarak said.

“I believe God is in everything.

“I believe we’re all equal.

“I believe we can help people.

“I believe everyone is weird in their own way.”

In Tarak’s simplicity, I believe we can all be reminded of the important things in our lives.

­— paihenry@indiana.edu