Students choose to go shoeless for TOMS

Day Without Shoes

Today marks the annual TOMS Shoes event, One Day Without Shoes. Across IU’s campuses — and schools throughout the nation — students are choosing to walk to class barefoot.

TOMS was founded in 2006 with the promise that for every pair of its trademark shoes purchased, a new pair of shoes would be donated to a child in need.

According to TOMS’ philosophy, One Day Without Shoes is designed to inspire a cycle of curiosity, conversation, action and change.

The event’s mission is to spread awareness about children in developing countries who have to walk without shoes to receive clean water, go to school and be treated for medical help.

At IU, the TOMS Shoes Club is co-sponsoring the event on campus with Styleta, a nonprofit company that receives donated items and resells them, donating the proceeds to charitable organizations.

Emily Nicholls, president of the IU TOMS Shoes Club, said there will be three walks starting at the IU Art Museum at 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m.

The walks will be lead by shoeless models who will be wearing clothes from Styleta and encouraging others to take off their shoes as well.

Nicholls said last year was the first year the club put on the event, and about 50 people participated.

She said she has a feeling a lot more students will be barefoot this year, especially given the recent warm weather.

The club’s twitter (@TOMSatIU) says to also be on the lookout for a surprise in Ballantine Hall between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

To find out more follow @TOMSatIU on Twitter or go to the Facebook event at www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162571910467183.