Polytan Invitational brings top athletes, advanced track

The Billy Hayes Track at the Robert C. Haugh Track and Field Complex is ready to show off a face-lift.

Last May, Polytan USA installed a new Polytan material track to replace the old Mondo surface. The replacement came just before last year’s outdoor season.

Today, the track will be on display as the Hoosiers track and field teams go against some of the country’s best in the Polytan Invitational.  

Several teams from across the nation will be on hand for the event, which begins today and continues through Saturday. For the Hoosiers, this weekend is a chance to begin preparing for the Big Ten Championships.

“It is a different meet in that it is scored individually rather than team scoring,” IU coach Ron Helmer said.

He said this will be an opportunity for his student-athletes to focus on their individual goals rather than team goals. The Hoosiers are attempting to put their best marks on the scoreboard with only three weeks remaining before the Big Ten Outdoor Championships.  
Several athletes have their goals set on attending the NCAA East Preliminaries in Bloomington. Those who qualify are only invited if they are in the top 43 of their event.

In addition to the collegiate competition, IU alumna Mollye Beckwith will attempt to break her own 800-meter track record of 2:02.18.