Pam Loebig: A girl of many kits

When she came to IU in 2005, Pam Loebig was a freshman from Cincinnati. Six years later, Little 500 and other aspects of IU have defined her life in Bloomington. She spent time on Little 500’s Riders Council and as a student coach for Dodds House. She’s been a physiology lab assistant and a molecular biology teaching assistant.

Loebig is a Hoosier of many kits.

Cycledelic
Loebig rode for Cycledelics from 2006 to 2008. During her first two years, she rode with her older sister, Kim. In 2006, the sisters helped the team to a fifth-place finish, the best finish in Cycledelics’ eight-year history.

“Little 500 was my undergraduate experience,” Loebig said. “It molded everything I did. It molded the people I met, the decisions I made, my lifestyle. It became the focal point of my time here at IU.”

RedStepper
During the fall, Loebig still trained on her bike, but she also high-stepped on the sidelines of the football games. Loebig was a member of the RedStepper dance squad for two years. Whether it was in front of alumni at Memorial Stadium or at the halftime show of an Indianapolis Colts game, her favorite part was performing as part of a team.

“It’s just another way to be a part of IU’s traditions,” Loebig said.

Race Director

A race director doesn’t have a set term, but the demanding schedule of Little 500 causes most directors to leave the position after two years. Loebig is in her third year as IUSF’s race director. She coordinates everything from rules to race day with some help from the gunners and steering committee.

“I realized how much the Little 500 did for me as a student and as a woman in particular,” Loebig said. “It empowered me. It taught me how to push myself further than I thought I was capable. I wanted to help others be involved and to have these opportunities and experiences on campus. It gave me so much. I wanted to give back.”