sports water polo

No. 3 seed prepares to compete in home conference tourney

Since last season concluded, the Hoosiers have prepared for this weekend.

Friday through Sunday, IU will be the location for the Collegiate Water Polo Association Eastern Championship, where an NCAA tournament berth will be earned.

The Hoosiers look to claim their first conference championship since 2003.

Prior to their final three regular season games, IU coach Barry King said his team needed to work on some individual aspects.

Now he says the team is prepared for this weekend and playing their best offense of the season.

“We’ve got a nice flow going,” King said. “Individuals are doing the things that they do well. Our goal production has been pretty solid. We’ve put that together.”

IU will face the winner of the Harvard—Gannon contest at 7:30 p.m. Friday. IU faced each team within the last month, defeating Gannon 15-4 on April 8 and Harvard 14-8 on April 16.

Senior attacker Kelsey Campbell said facing an opponent for the second time will present a unique challenge.

“This is what we’ve been working all year towards,” Campbell said. “In the conference championship, everyone is coming out with that added intensity. Anything can happen. You have to be prepared and give it everything you’ve got.”

King said he will talk to his team about their opponent “when we get closer to the contest.”

Senior attacker Katie Black summed up the team’s mindset about this weekend.
“Friday needs to come real fast,” Black said. “The whole weekend needs to come. Everyone’s ready to start playing and stop practicing.”