sports water polo

Michigan loss brings motivation for Pa. matches

IU coach Barry King described the defensive lapses that led to a 9-8 defeat against then-No. 7 Michigan as anomalies.

Consequently, the No. 12 Hoosiers did not give extra attention to refining their defense in practice. King said the loss was due to not playing the kind of defense that earned them an eight-game winning streak.

The Hoosiers have an opportunity to bounce back this weekend as they play five matches in Pennsylvania. Freshman attacker Shae Fournier said the loss to Michigan provided the Hoosiers with a sense of perspective.

“It was kind of an eye-opener for us,” said Fournier, the team leader in assists. “That (result) told us what we need to do to win. It put more fire under us.”

This weekend, all but one match comes against Collegiate Water Polo Association foes. King said the Hoosiers’ early-season schedule has played an invaluable role in the Hoosiers’ improved play at the most important time of the season.

“We’re playing as a unit better than we did at the beginning of the year,” King said. “We’re more comfortable in our rotations. People have a good understanding of their role, and the acceptance of those roles has been the key to what we’ve been doing better. We’re getting much better looks and taking much better shots.”

This week: Matches against Gannon and Mercyhurst on Friday in Erie, Pa., then the Bison Invitational against Bucknell, Hartwick and Maryland on Saturday and Sunday.

Last week: Did not play.

Look ahead: IU will be playing in the Maryland invitational on April 16-17.

They said it: “It was kind of an eye-opener for us,” freshman attacker Shae Fournier said. “That (result) told us what we need to do to win. It put more fire under us.”