Local ice cream shops to melt over

ice cream

Bloomington residents don’t have to be the only ones with all the secrets of the best ice cream shops in town. Here is the scoop on some of the local ice cream shops that will unleash your taste buds.

Hartzell's

Hartzell’s has a Jiffy-esque feel to it with its brightly painted walls and overwhelmingly extensive menu filled with mix-ins, homemade flavors and Carbolite treats. What sets Hartzell’s apart from Bloomington’s other ice cream shops are its exotic homemade flavors. 

“If you keep doing the same thing, you should expect the same thing,” said Hartzell Martel, owner of the two-year-old store.

It is this mind set that motivates Martel to create original flavors like Salted Caramel and The Garden of Good and Evil, which consists of lavender extract, honey from Hunter’s farm and vodka — yes, vodka — to give it an “evil” twist.

Martel’s picks

In the mood for chocolate? Martel recommended Chocolate Lovers. “It’s a deep, dark European chocolate,” he said.

The Chocolate Moose

One of Bloomington’s oldest ice cream shops, The Chocolate Moose is a must-have.

Its 78-year-history with Bloomington residents and IU students has everyone from the mayor to 4-year-olds buzzing about the homemade flavors, “blizzes” and newly introduced ice cream cakes.

“People from every walk of life come to the Chocolate Moose,” general manager Steve Schoreder said. “You never know who will be next in line.”

Keeping with their old-school traditions, the shop uses the same recipes from 1933.
To stay updated on the shop’s news and specials follow @jeffmoose on Twitter.

Moose Pick

“I get made fun of because I keep spoons in my pockets to try everything, but I have to say Moose Chocolate,” Schoreder said.

Red Mango

Red Mango is the healthy alternative when you’re craving something sweet. It’s hip, youthful atmosphere makes for a great place to go with friends. For 45 cents per ounce, customers can fill up their bowls with as much as they crave — no one’s judging.

“The healthy aspect is important, and there’s a certain feel to the store,” owner Luke Angermeier said. “But the most important part is the taste.”

There are 40 flavors in rotation to maintain variety.

With a self-serve model and about 40 toppings to choose from, customers always   get exactly what they want.

Angermeier’s Pick

Original yogurt topped with granola and strawberries.

Jiffy Treet

Jiffy Treet has an eye-popping menu full of shakes, frozen yogurts and “cyclones.” The candy-colored walls and casually dressed workers add to the fun atmosphere.

Jiffy offers between 50 and 60 “cyclone” mix-ins, which, according to long-time employee Jason Minsterketter, means billions of combination possibilities. 

“This is definitely the ice cream place to go and try something new every time,” Minsterketter said.

There is a Jiffy Treet on all sides of campus and each specializes in something different. The North-side Jiffy is unlike the rest in that it delivers.

Jiffy Pick

Mud Pie homemade ice cream (coffee ice cream with Oreo pieces in it) with marshmallow cream on top.