IU Democrats prepare for primary mayoral election

Seasonal allergies and eager enthusiasm are in the air for IU students this spring.

In particular, the IU College Democrats are gearing up for the primary mayoral election May 3.

Last fall’s election made Democratic students work together against their Republican counterparts.

However, the choice between two Democratic candidates in this election — Mayor Mark Kruzan and opponent John Hamilton — has divided the Democrats and has proven to be an exciting challenge.

“I think it’s a really good thing,” IU Democrats President Logan Souder said. “It relates back to Obama and Clinton both running for president. It makes for a good debate, and we end up getting the best candidate.”

As a club, IU Democrats makes it a priority to maintain a high level of respect and professionalism toward its opponents.

The weekly meetings have focused on specific topics of discussion in addition to offering equal amounts of time for candidates to guest speak.

“IU Democrats is a really involved and educated group of people who can act independently when choosing between the two,” said Mariah Kick, an IU senior and intern for Kruzan.

As an intern, Kick has been field and phone canvassing since February to educate the community and campus about Kruzan’s background and beliefs.

“He is definitely a supporter for IU,” she said. “I appreciate his support for the arts on campus. As an alum himself, he stays really connected.”

Kruzan is running for his third term, and Kick said this demonstrates his capability as mayor.

“Mayor Kruzan has accomplished a great deal in Bloomington during the last eight years,” Kick said.

While some want to keep Bloomington on the traditional track maintained by the current plans of action, Hamilton proponents said others see opportunity to shift the style of policy toward greater unity.

Kimmie Lewis, an IU sophomore and intern for John Hamilton’s campaign, discussed the importance of public outreach and availability.

“He (Hamilton) doesn’t think he has all the answers and doesn’t want to rely on his opinion alone,” Lewis said. “He wants to get others involved, whether it be mayors from other progressive cities, to find the best solution that way.”

Lewis said Hamilton engages the public by having weekly public breakfasts to discuss issues affecting the community.

“This is just one of the ways he would make himself available to his constituents,” Lewis said. “His accessibility is what really appeals to me.”

Lewis said the choice between the two progressive Democrats may be a difficult one for many since both have solid plans to improve Bloomington.

“I think it’s hard to see your friends work for a different candidate,” Kick said. “But at the end of the day, we’re all on the same side.”