Column: A different kind of pop music

I first encountered K-pop when I was living in Taiwan. I heard a song called “Sorry Sorry” by a band named Super Junior, and I was hooked.

I enjoyed the catchy beat and fun dance moves from the beginning. As I continued to listen to the song during my three months living in Taiwan, the playful mix of Korean and English held my attention, and I couldn’t help but dance.

K-pop is a genre of music produced in South Korea, yet it has been exported all around East Asia.

Recently, Helienne Lindvall of the Guardian wrote an article that called K-pop artists the American equivalent of the Black Eyed Peas.The comparison is fair and makes sense since Black Eyed Peas member will.i.am has been an popular songwriter in Korea.

However, these songs seem a bit different to me.

K-pop is all about mixing choreographed dance moves with an unforgettable chorus.
Yet the themes of the music are far less provocative.
Also, popular music throughout South Korea and East Asia is frequently used for karaoke.

Young people love going to karaoke bars and singing with their friends. It serves as a means of bonding in a friendly and fun way.

The karaoke industry has helped to make big names in K-Pop, including BoA, Super Junior, DBSK and Girls’ Generation.

K-Pop may not be exactly the same as pop music in the United States, but it possesses the same qualities.  

The only major difference is the language used in the song. Pop music is pop music regardless of what language it is in.

­