Bill Cook, medical manufacturer and local philanthropist, dies at 80

COOK

The founder of Bloomington-based medical equipment manufacturer Cook Group Inc. and Bloomington area philanthropist Bill Cook, 80, died Friday.

Cook was born in 1931 in Mattoon, Ill. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Northwestern University in 1953 and studied as a graduate student at Trinity University in Texas. Last September his wealth was estimated at $3.1 billion by Forbes Magazine.
According to Cook’s biography on IU’s website, he specialized in medical devices, pharmaceuticals, genetics, real estate, retail management and travel services.

Despite his success, Cook remained heavily involved in the community, specifically in the area of historic preservation.

David McCarty, director of Global Public Relations for Cook Medical, confirmed that Cook passed away at about 4:30 p.m.

At Saturday’s men’s Little 500 race, IU President Michael McRobbie led a moment of silence in Cook’s honor and spoke about the influences Cook had on IU.

“He was a magnificent supporter of Indiana University and incredibly generous to thousands and thousands of people in the state. Many of the riders today are wearing black armbands to commemorate Bill’s passing,” McRobbie said.

In 2009, Cook was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Philanthropy from Spoon River College in Canton, Ill. This was one of many awards for his philanthropic accomplishments.

Details regarding Cook’s death have not been released, though McCarty said he is currently working to inform the public as soon as possible.

U.S. Sen. Dan Coats released a statement about Cook on Saturday.

“Bill Cook was a giant of a man whose creativity and generosity made life better for millions of people and made Indiana a better state,” Coats said in the release. “I had the privilege of getting to know him and the opportunity to catch a glimpse of his entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm. His legacy will continue to touch the lives of many, and he will be missed greatly.”

Gov. Mitch Daniels also announced Saturday that he will posthumously present Cook with the Sachem award, Indiana’s highest honor.

The award will be presented in May.

Details concerning services for Cook have also been announced. He will lie in repose from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. April 23 in Cook World Headquarters, at 750 Daniels Way, in
Bloomington.