Adobe Day reveals software's potential

Adobe Photo Day

University Information Technology Services had the first-ever Adobe Day on Monday in the Frangipani Room at the Indiana Memorial Union.

The goal of the program was to teach and explore the Adobe products and technology that are free to all students.

“IU has this great landmark software deal with Adobe where we have all this great software and a lot of people don’t know that it’s there. They don’t know what folks around IU are doing with it,” said Bob Flynn, manager of information technology community partnerships at IU. “This event is basically to raise awareness of our relationship with Adobe and the wide variety of things that people do with it.”

There were short demos of Adobe products, presentations, interactive photo and video shoots and community showcases to show how IU faculty, students and staff are using Adobe technologies throughout campus.

On the floor of the Frangipani Room, the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning had a table to show students and faculty how they use Adobe products.

“Here at Adobe Days, we’re showing some of the ways that instructors have used Adobe technology for instructions,” said Roger Henry, learning technologies consultant at CITL. “Students of today are children of the technology era, and it’s time that teaching kind of goes to them instead of expecting lecture halls and overheads.”

Students were encouraged to look around, ask questions and take advantage of the creative ways to use Adobe technology.

“I was just walking by and I was like, ‘OK, what’s this?’” freshman Adrian Wynn said. “It’s pretty cool. I didn’t know a lot of this stuff was offered for free.”