A flawed genome

blackfield

Thanks to his pioneering work as the frontman for Porcupine Tree and his ambient experiments as a solo artist, Steven Wilson is one of the most respected and important figures in progressive music today.

It’s likely a direct result of the complexity and occasional weirdness of those projects that he formed Blackfield, a straightforward rock duo in which he trades guitar and vocals with Israeli pop singer Aviv Geffen.

On the band’s third LP, “Welcome to My DNA,” Geffen takes on almost the full songwriting load, and it becomes quickly apparent that Wilson is most of the reason that Blackfield’s first two records were so good.

“Go to Hell,” with its incessant, profanity-laden refrain, is both childish and daft, with its embarrassing lyrics lying over an equally boneheaded chord progression. “Blood” and “On the Plane” play like Geffen’s least realized attempts to defy his pop background. Unsurprisingly, the album’s highlight, lead single “Waving,” is Wilson’s only writing contribution to the disc.

“Blackfield II” in 2007 was an essential album, the sound of a prog rock giant stripping down his excesses in the presence of a pop icon. “Welcome to My DNA” sees the pop icon trying to play up to the prog giant and failing miserably.