Rivers bids farewell to Assembly Hall

Men's Basketball vs. Wisconsin

As Jeremiah Rivers walked off the court with 11 seconds remaining, he did so to a standing ovation from the fans and his name being echoed throughout Assembly Hall.

His season wasn’t yet finished — the Big Ten Tournament is held in Indianapolis next week — but his time on Branch McCracken Court was.

Following his team’s 77-67 loss to No. 10 Wisconsin on Thursday night, Rivers stood with his family, grabbed the microphone from fellow departing teammate Guy-Marc Michel, and thanked the crowd.  

Afterward, the lone senior spoke of the special night.

“When I walked in the locker room, I can see everyone’s disappointment,” Rivers said. “I can see it in their eyes — guys were teary eyed. That’s all I can ask for. It’s been a great journey here.”   

Rivers finished the night with six points on 2-of-5 shooting and four rebounds.

But as IU coach Tom Crean has said a multitude of times this season, Rivers’ impact on the squad is not seen in the box score.

The senior is the team’s top defender — guarding the opposing team’s best scorer almost every game — and is one of the more vocal leaders on the roster.  
Crean made that loud and clear as Rivers was subbed out for the final time against Wisconsin.

“I said, ‘listen to them, you earned that’,” Crean said. “That was totally what he has done. No coach, no other player, that’s nobody asking. That’s the fans of Indiana responding to a guy change his game — change his mindset of the game — to do some really good things.”

The IU coach was asked after the loss what differentiates Rivers from other players he has coached in his career.

He answered by talking about Rivers’ work ethic.

“I don’t know if there has been a day that he hasn’t come in during the season,” Crean said. “I can’t remember a day where I did not see him in this building. That’s put him in the class of great workers that I have been with.”    

Rivers’ teammates made it clear this week that they wanted to send him out on top.
IU junior guard Verdell Jones said that that was one of his main priorities after his team’s loss to Ohio State on Sunday. Junior forward Kory Barnett said the same Wednesday afternoon.  

But thanks to exceptional play from Wisconsin guard Jordan Taylor — who scored 39 points on 11-of-19 shooting — it did not end in the Hoosiers’ favor.

The Badger guard’s point total was the second most scored in the history of Assembly Hall for an opponent.  

IU sophomore guard Jordan Hulls said he and his teammates were very disappointed they could not pull out the victory for Rivers.

“We always give effort, but it is tough to lose to a top 10 team like that in our home on Senior Night for Jeremiah’s last game in Assembly Hall,” Hulls said. “He’s a great player for us defensively and offensively he’s a lot getting better. He’s meant a lot for this team, and we are going to miss him next year.”