Groups meet, discuss Israel, GLBT status

Brought together through the Israelpaloozah events this week, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Supportive Services and Hoosiers coordinated a discussion group that explored Israel’s connection to the GLBT community.

About 10 community members gathered at La Casa Latino Cultural Center to share their knowledge and opinions and learn about how Israel’s democracy treats the GLBT community.

“Because Israel is a religious state, most people don’t know about how they are with the GLBT community,” said Arielle Wiesenfeld, volunteer coordinator for the GLBT SSS.

“Every country has their issues and political problems, but in a country that is so religiously affiliated, Israel is one of the most progressive countries in the Middle East, seen with their openness with GLBT rights, and it is very eye-opening.”

Participants at the discussion openly spoke about how the nation of Israel and its history has made Israel more accepting to groups facing discrimination.

Attendees learned about how the religious values that are a part of the Israeli government still can conflict with the liberal community while also discussing the ways in which Israel’s relationship with the GLBT is admirable for other countries not open to the GLBT community.

“The U.S. is not that advanced in some of our structuring of GLBT rights, and that is something we could learn from Israel,” said Matt Lowther, co-leader of Hot Topic discussions.

“Israel is setting a good example for what is needed for GLBT. They might not offer everything, but they are offering a lot more than most countries do.”