Giesecke leads team with career-low round of 71 at Lumberjack Shootout

The IU women’s golf team posted its best finish of the year Wednesday, tieing for second in the Lumberjack Shootout at Wigwam golf course in Litchfield Park, Ariz. Senior Lauren Giesecke led the team with a career performance in her first tournament of the
season.

“I have mixed emotions,” IU coach Clint Wallman said on the team’s website. “We gave ourselves a chance and played well for the most part. We just didn’t capitalize on the opportunities we gave ourselves down the stretch. But I think it is a good thing because it gives us (an) idea of what we need to do and major areas we need to work on coming down the stretch.”

Giesecke finished tied for seventh place, shooting a career-best 218 total for the tournament, including a career-low round of 71 Tuesday. Freshman Lindsay Gahm finished tied for 19th after she posted an even-par 72 after a tough second round where she shot 78.

Junior Kristtini Cain (76-73-76) and sophomore Kate Coons (74-74-77) each finished just one stroke back of Gahm with 225 in a tie for 26th. Sophomore Jacqueline Yanch finished Wednesday with a 79 and a three-day total of 228 (76-71-79), putting her in a tie for 34th.

The team will again travel to Arizona for its next tournament where it will compete in the Mountain View Invitational on Friday and Saturday in Tucson, Ariz.