11 Hoosiers return to Minneapolis for NCAA Championship meet

The IU men’s swimming and diving team knows the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center well.

They competed there just a month ago as they finished second in the Big Ten Championships.

Starting today, 11 Hoosier athletes return to Minneapolis to participate in the NCAA Championships.

Sophomore Eric Ress and freshman Cody Miller earned first team All-Big Ten at the Big Ten Championships and now look to continue their success on the big stage, qualifying for five and three events, respectively.

Ress, who missed last season with a torn ACL, broke the third metacarpal in his hand during a race at Big Tens, which affected his training regimen during the last couple of weeks.

“Growing up, I used to mountain bike and snowboard and all that, and I never broke a bone doing any of that stuff,” Ress said. “Go figure, I break a bone doing a pretty nonimpact sport. I guess that’s just how it is.”

The team already improved from fifth place in the Big Ten last year to second place, and now they look to improve on a 31st-place finish at last year’s NCAAs.

Senior Titus Knight, a first-time qualifier for NCAAs, said he has heard quite a bit about the challenge and the spectacle that is the NCAA Championship meet.

“From what I’ve heard — from all the hype — it’s a meet that’s faster than the Olympics,” Knight said. “Now, not having been there before and just going off what other people have said, I’m pretty excited, pretty pumped. I wouldn’t say nervous at this point. I’m sure as the meet gets closer, I’ll probably get a little more nervous, but I’m just going to try and approach it like I did Big Tens — just go in there and make a statement.”