SPILL gives advice anonymously

From concerns about sexuality to academic stress, SPILL’s website encourages students to spill their guts and vent about any number of issues they’re facing.

SPILL, which stands for Supporting Peers in Laidback Listening, is an anonymous peer-to-peer support system where students can go online to vent or ask for advice about their problems and concerns with which they are dealing.

SPILL is a national organization that was brought to IU by the Delta Delta Delta sorority this year and is currently accessible at nine other universities across the country.

Junior Jen Blass, president of SPILL at IU, said students will be connected with four to six other students on campus who have dealt with the same issue, and will receive a response to their post within 24 hours.

“If something is on your mind, bothering you, or you just need to talk to someone or get something off your chest, SPILL gives you the chance to do just that and to receive some positive feedback from those that won’t be judging you in the process,” Blass said.

Blass said the support system is available 24 hours a day, so someone is always there to provide comfort and support, completely confidentially.

Even though SPILL was founded by members of the greek community, Blass said the service is open to all men and women who need advice or want to help their fellow students.

“SPILL is not limited to greek involvement, or solely responsive to one gender or type of issue,” Blass said. “Whether you are struggling with roommate problems, romantic relationships, academic stress, body image issues, concerns about sexuality, etcetera, we are here to listen.”

Senior Brea Jackson said she thinks SPILL could be beneficial to students, especially underclassmen.

“I can understand where students would want advice from upperclassmen who could definitely have the potential to help them,” Jackson said. “Sorority life is attractive to a lot of women, and it would be nice to (get) advice from women who are already established in houses.”

If nothing else, Blass said she wants students to go online and see what SPILL is about.

“I really encourage girls and guys to take advantage of such a discrete and helpful opportunity,” Blass said.

For student support or for more information visit www.studentspill.com.