sports water polo

Redder propels 2-1 finish at The Rodeo

The IU water polo team capped off a 2-1 weekend at The Rodeo in Santa Clara, Calif.

The Hoosiers’ first contest resulted in a 9-7 defeat at the hands of the No. 19 Pacific Tigers. Pacific built a 4-2 lead after the end of one quarter. IU’s defense tightened in the second quarter as the Hoosiers held the Tigers scoreless in the period. Meanwhile, IU scored twice to tie the game at the half.

IU could not get over the hump against the Tigers as Pacific reclaimed the lead 23 seconds into the third quarter.

“There were four or five critical defensive lapses in the Pacific game that really cost us,” IU coach Barry King said.

Against Cal State Monterey Bay, the Hoosiers bounced back. IU led against the Otters and earned a 13-3 victory. After scoring one goal in the first quarter, the Hoosiers tallied 12 goals in the remaining three quarters.

IU senior attacker Nicole Redder scored three of those 12 goals, one in each of the final three quarters. Her fourth-quarter goal moved her into sole possession of fifth place on IU’s all-time goals list with 137 goals.

To conclude The Rodeo, IU claimed a 9-3 victory against the host Santa Clara. Senior utility player Lauren Wyckoff earned a hat trick for the Hoosiers.

The victory gave IU a winning record for the tournament and pushed its overall record to 4-8.