Pink Droyd to give tribute

Daniel Fisher has played Pink Floyd music since he started playing the keyboard.
Beginning in 2000, the synthesizer expert began his hobby of perfecting Pink Floyd music in multiple tribute bands, including the Boston-born Pink Voyd.

Fisher is currently the keyboard player for the Fort Wayne-based group Pink Droyd.

“It was magical the way we formed,” he said. “Everyone had been playing in other Pink Floyd tribute bands, and we all knew what we wanted.”

Pink Droyd will be playing at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The band formed and played its first concert in the summer of 2007.

“We decided to get serious and discussed what made our other tributes difficult,”
Fisher said.

The show imitates sound, lights, lasers and videos of the original Pink Floyd band. The band puts in one long practice per week.

Drummer Nick Talevski lives in Indianapolis and commutes for the weekly rehearsal, according to the band’s website.

“We have to put in the time to get each detail right,” Fisher said.

The band’s success stems from the members’ love of the music and playing the roles they want.

However, criticism haunts its every move.

“It can be a double-edged sword,” Fisher said. “Diehard Floyd fans enjoy the show, but they know when you don’t get it exactly right.”

Frontman Kevin Quandt played in another Pink Floyd tribute band, Earthbound Misfits, before creating Pink Droyd with Fisher.

“When you see our show, you see a theatrical rock performance,” Quandt said.

The 34-year-old is manager of the band. He books shows and takes care of the band’s website. His wife Kyle takes photographs for the band.

Audiences range in age from the mesmerized 12-year-old to the elderly Pink Floyd groupie, he said.

Although both Quandt and Fisher have visited Bloomington, Saturday will be Pink Droyd’s first performance in Bloomington.

“We liked the BCT because it’s an intimate setting with great room and amenities,” Quandt said.

The band members do not do this as their careers, although some members work in the music business.

“This is fun the way it is now,” Quandt said. “We work hard to play hard.”