Our crazy statehouse: Defunding Planned Parenthood

The Indiana House Public Policy Committee approved a proposal Feb. 17 that calls to eliminate all state funding for Planned Parenthood or any other organization that offers abortion services. House Bill 1205 is now en route to the full House.  

Those who are morally opposed to abortions are understandably concerned about state spending, but Planned Parenthood is very clear about its funding, and there is no justifiable reason why its programs, or its clients, should be denied support.

Betty Cockrum, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Indiana, has stated repeatedly that federal funding is only used for “basic, preventative health services.” In response to the use of Title X funds, Cockrum states, “Not one dime goes for abortions or in any way supports the provision of abortion anywhere, and the Hyde Amendment specifically prohibits that from happening.”

This is the honest truth. The Hyde Amendment was passed in 1976 and bars the use of certain federal funds to pay for abortions.

Denying further funds to Planned Parenthood will only harm the persons of low income who can benefit from PPIN’s basic reproductive care services.

Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards highlighted the importance of the organization as a primary and preventative health care provider. She said its services include “lifesaving breast and cervical cancer screenings, annual exams, family planning visits, birth control, HIV testing and more.”

Cockrum has also explained that 94 percent of PPIN’s work does not involve abortions. The federal money provides women with necessary pelvic exams and education about preventing unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

Out of the 28 Planned Parenthood centers in Indiana, federal grant funds are only used in eight “high-need, underserved areas in northwestern and rural southwestern Indiana,” including Gary and Bedford. The other 20 sites are self-sustaining health centers.

Without the government grants to help support their mission of affordable and preventative health care, Cockrum says about 22,000 men and women “will no longer have a medical home.”

House Bill 1205, by taking money away from Planned Parenthood, would put 22,000 people at risk. PPIN has been serving communities with quality health care for nearly 80 years, and if low-income persons are suddenly unable to receive birth control, the consequences will be severe.

E-mail: paihenry@indiana.edu