Norbu family to finish walk across Florida

Norbu Presser

Kunga Norbu, brother of the late Jigme Norbu, announced Tuesday in a press conference that he and two of Jigme’s sons, Denzin, 13, and Jensen, 9, will be finishing Jigme’s walk.

Jigme, a nephew of the Dalai Lama, was walking across Florida to raise awareness of the Chinese occupation of Tibet. He was finishing the first leg of the trip Feb. 14 when he was struck and killed by a vehicle.

Jigme’s remains were transported to Bloomington and a family service has already been conducted.

A public memorial will take place at 6 p.m. March 1 in the Bloomington City Hall.
Even after their loss, the Norbu family members remain dedicated to the walks for a free Tibet.

“It is our legacy in our family to continue (these walks), even if that means only one walk a year,” Kunga said.

Kunga said he plans not only to finish Jigme’s walk in Florida, but also to communicate with organizations in Australia and Japan that invited Jigme to walk there.

Even though the loss is still new to the family, it is clear to Kunga that Jigme died fighting for a good cause.

“He died for the cause of Tibet,” Kunga said. “He died for what he believed in and what he was doing.”

Kunga said Jigme’s death not only took a family member, but it also took the family representative. Kunga is now the family’s spokesperson.

Kunga said he never wanted to be the center of attention. Now he finds himself in a position where he is a leader in his cause.

“I was always in the background. I never wanted to be out in front,” Kunga said. “This has taken me to another level where I have to take on responsibility and the role to carry on my late father and Jigme’s dreams.”