Legislation may inhibit Ind. townships' powers

Two bills currently working their way through the Indiana General Assembly could significantly change the structure of local governments in the state.

House Bill 1376, authored by State Rep. Phillip Hinkle, R-Indianapolis, would eliminate township government in Marion County.

House Bill 1469, authored by State Rep. Jerry Torr, R-Carmel, would eliminate township boards responsible for budget approval in the state’s remaining 91 counties.

This power would be transferred to county officials, but the township would still exist.

“We’re hoping to create some efficiencies in the delivery of services,” Hinkle said.

In Indiana, townships are responsible for administering a variety of services. All townships provide emergency financial assistance to families and individuals.

Bloomington Township also has a food pantry, a family shelter and provides building space rent-free to the Monroe County Community Kitchen.

Township governments currently include a township trustee, township assessor and a township board responsible for fiscal matters.

“The boards play a very important role in township government,” said Linda Sievers, a Democrat and Bloomington Township trustee. “They are the first line of oversight.”

Hinkle said by disbanding the township boards, he hopes to create more consistency in township services and funding within counties. Centralizing the fiscal power in the hands of the county council would create a central office making decisions, he said.

The bills also provide provisions for voters in each county to decide if they want to abolish township governments altogether and transfer those powers to the county government.

But Hinkle said some parts of HB 1376 and HB 1469 may be changed during debate.
“There has to be a great deal of compromise,” he said.

Debbie Driskell, executive director of the Indiana Township Association, said her concern is that county government is not as local as the townships.

“They’ll lose representation that’s local for their tax dollars and how they’re spent,” Driskell said.

Sievers said it is important to retain the boards as a check against the township trustee. She said the county council would not be as accessible to her and would be less able to serve the needs of the township.

“They have control over the money. If you eliminate them and I go to the county council, how much oversight can the county council give me?” she said. “I think the service the board members provide is very important. They are a check and balance for the trustee and the money.”