sports softball

IU to open season at No. 2 Arizona after losing year

Softball vs. Illinois

The IU women’s softball season opens Thursday  against the No. 2 Arizona Wildcats as part of the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.  

The Hoosiers head into the new season looking to put last year’s 12-36 campaign behind them.

“I don’t think anyone in this group is dwelling on last year. It’s kind of like, ‘Bring it on, here we go,’” IU coach Michelle Gardner said.

The Hoosiers will look to start off their season on the West Coast with better results than last year when they scored six runs in an 0-4 weekend. Potentially standing in their way of starting the year in the win column is Arizona outfielder Brittany Lastrapes and pitcher Kenzie Fowler. Both of the Wildcat superstars have been named to the USA Softball National Collegiate Player of the Year Watch List.

IU made some noise of its own in the offseason with the transfer of senior pitcher Morgan Melloh from Fresno State. The Fishers, Ind., native posted an 18-10 record with a 2.35 ERA last season.

Melloh said this year’s team has the potential to be very successful.

“We have great incoming freshmen, great returners and great transfers, so I think this team will just be amazing,” Melloh said.

Gardner said her main focus for the team as the season gets underway is on improving every day.

“For me it is going out and being competitive this weekend, not basing everything on wins and losses, but how we do as a team and the strides we make as we go along,” she said.