Indiana Youth Institution initiates bullying prevention measures

Bullying in schools is the most common form of violence in the U.S.

Seventy-five percent of high school students report being bullied at some time while they were in school, according to Crisis Connection, a southern Indiana organization that provides services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

In an attempt to help prevent bullying, the Indiana Youth Institute will have a free luncheon aimed at youth workers from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. today in the fellowship hall of Sherwood Oaks Christian Church, 2700 E. Rogers Road, in Bloomington.

“In a nutshell, our mission is to serve those who serve youth,” said Joe Shrode, the southwest Indiana field representative for IYI.

IYI sponsors Youth Worker Café events throughout the state. Though Shrode said they started as networking events, they have evolved into educational
opportunities.

The Bloomington Youth Worker Café will feature Joan Knies, a community education specialist from Crisis Connection, and a discussion about bullying prevention.

“I give people tools for how to prevent bullying,” Knies said.

While many of the people at Crisis Connection are involved in helping abuse victims, Knies’ focus is prevention.

“Joan’s focus really is recognizing the bullying, recognizing the different signs of bullying,” Shrode said. “Hopefully the youth workers that attend will find something to bring back to their organizations and the youth they help.”

Knies said she frequently speaks at events like the Youth Workers Café, which is directed toward adults who can help bullies and the victims of bullying, as well as those intended for youth, such as school and church events.

Knies said a significant amount of the work that needs to be done is in preventing bullying, but she also teaches people about how to deal with potential victims and bystanders.

“The bystanders have the most power,” she said.

The other important thing to remember about bullying is that sometimes a normal situation can instigate it. Knies said bullying is a generational cycle and can be picked up from relatives at home or from certain media.

“Oh, it’s everywhere,” she said. “It’s a problem.”