Saturday, June 15

Food stamps: Time for reform

The economic downturn has plagued the United States and the world. With jobs shed and savings nearly eradicated, the social safety nets of many countries have been put to the test.One of the staples of our social safety net is the access to food stamps.

And in the past few years, the number of people who have been forced onto food stamps has dramatically increased. In short, the number has increased by nearly 14 percent in the last year and will probably start to flatten as the economic recovery takes hold.

With the estimated 43 million people who benefit from this program, it is something that most politicians do not want to touch or even talk about.

But in the grand scheme of things, as we emerge from this recession and start to address the serious budget problems of the U.S. federal government, no line in the budget should be off limits.

Former Agriculture Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, R-Kan., stated just last week that “food stamps should be on the table along with farm subsidies” to address the fiscal budget crisis.

Addressing food stamp structural reform is sort of two-fold. On one side, we have the fiscal argument that the food stamp program costs simply too much. On the other, an argument that the food stamp program only affords some the ability to purchase cheaper, unhealthier foods.

I will express agreement with both sides to some extent.

I agree with the fiscal side of the argument in that no line item should be off the table in regards to addressing the fiscal problems of the U.S. federal government.

And on the other, I will agree that the program does affect the ability of people to access certain foods.

It is going to be a hard balance to strike and one that will be a hot political issue. The one reform proposal that I would favor comes from a reaction to something that I personally experienced.

When I worked as a cashier in high school at Walmart, a few of those who use food stamps could exchange the food stamps for cash. They were then free to use that cash in whatever way they pleased, including the purchase of cigarettes.

I am not sure what curve the regulators are currently considering, but this is just a recommendation that I would make if offered to present an argument.

Whatever the policy remedy is, I hope it is one that better delivers on the affordability and accountability we expect as taxpayers.

E-mail: cjcaudil@indiana.edu